8 hours ago
After the loss of its industries in the later 20th century, Eyam’s local economy now relies on the tourist trade and it is promoted as "the plague village", in reference to how it chose to isolate itself after bubonic plague was discovered there, so as to prevent the infection spreading.
The history of the plague in the village began in 1665 when a flea-infested bundle of cloth arrived from London for the local tailor. Within a week his assistant George Vicars was dead and more began dying in the household soon after. As the disease spread, the villagers turned for leadership to their rector, the Reverend William Mompesson, and the Puritan Minister Thomas Stanley. These introduced a number of precautions to slow the spread of the illness from May 1666.
The plague ran its course over 14 months and one account states that it killed at least 260 villagers, with only 83 surviving out of a population of 350. Photo skilfully captured by @nicolehaistphotography at Eyam Plague Village