18 minutes ago
CHOCOLATE CHUNK BUTTER BEAN CAKE. Yes, you read that right. This cake is not only dangerously delicious (keep it away from your pets because Milly wanted to devour all of it 😉) but also packed with butter beans, which give its nutritional profile a great boost. It’s mildly sweet, vegan, oil-free, low fat, high in protein and fiber, super easy to make, and requires only a few basic ingredients. Are you ready and as excited as I am? Enjoy! And don’t forget to tag me if you try out any of my recipes, I’d love to see your creations ❤️🙏🏼 Serves 9
1 400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 C sugar (I used unrefined demerara sugar)
1/4 C almond butter
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp plant milk (I used soy milk)
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds + 2 1/2 Tbsp water
1 C whole grain spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 bar of dark chocolate (75g), roughly chopped
1. Begin by stirring together the flaxseeds and water to make a flax egg. Set aside to gel.
2. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C / 356 degrees F and lightly oil a 20 x 20 cm baking pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. To your food processor add butter beans, sugar, almond butter and plant milk. Process until you get a smooth mixture.
5. To the dry ingredients add the flax egg and the butter bean mixture and stir thoroughly.
6. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
7. Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
8. Enjoy warm or leave in the pan until fully cooled.