39 minutes ago
My bud @mothdogs tagged me to show 7 of my favorite books! (And it only took me like a week to do it. 😁 #lazybutt) Despite having a lot of recent faves in book land, my mind only seems to ever latch onto the things I read in middle and high school. And actually, I’m going to cheat and include a few books I’m not showing here: “The Outsiders” by S. E. Hinton (y’all, I literally wrote fanfic crossovers with this and Gundam Wing in the seventh grade 😂), “Behind the Attic Wall” by Sylvia Cassedy, “The Witch of Blackbird Pond” by Elizabeth George Speare, “The Root Cellar” by Janet Lunn, and “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare (yes I know I know I KNOW but the LANGUAGE IN THIS PLAY IS GORGEOUS and holy frick, I think I went through the majority of ninth grade watching the Baz Luhrmann film adaption). And Sailor Moon, but you all knew that.
☆ ☆ ☆
1. “Dreadful Sorry” by Kathryn Reiss
2. “Companions of the Night” by Vivian Vande Velde - Don’t even @ me, this is the pinnacle of YA paranormal romance. I don’t want to hear that Ethan is a douchebag (because I already KNOW), he’s still in my top five book vampires. I’ve read this book like ten times, and I’m still waiting on a sequel.
3. “Hawksong” by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes - AAR was a household name for me in high school, like my mom had to suffer through teenage Shannon’s unrelenting fangirling about effing Danica Shardae and Zane Cobriana on a daily basis
4. “The Hours” by Michael Cunningham
5. “Dark Magick” by Cate Tiernan - Even though I count this series as one of my ALL-TIME favorites, Dark Magick was the book in the series that about destroyed me (IF YOU READ IT, you knoooooowww). And I know the Sweep series is more fantasy-based, but I still give it a lot of credit for introducing me to Celtic history and Wicca as a religion. (While I don’t actively practice, it’s still the religion I’d say I identify most closely with.)
6. “Peter Pan” J. M. Barrie
7. “Tithe” by Holly Black - As we all discovered while I was reading The Cruel Prince, I still have A LOT of feelings about Kaye and Roiben. Top five favorite authors. Tithe is the best of the best in darker, weird af urban fantasy YA.