3 hours ago
Hailing from West Bengal, shingaras are an integral part of Bengali cuisine. A very popular variation Fulkopir shingara (shingara filled with cauliflower mixture) is a common snack eaten during the tea time. #indiansnacks #indianstreetfood #indianfoodbloggers #indianappetizer #indianrecipes
Flour - 1 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
For the stuffing:
Potatoes - 100g, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
Cauliflower - 200g, cut into small 1 inch florets
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Roasted cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Roasted red chillies - 4 whole
-> Prepare the filling:
* Combine the roasted cumin seeds and the red chillies, grind to a fine powder.
* Boil the potatoes and cauliflower in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
* In a kadhai, heat 2 tbsp oil, fry the boiled potatoes and cauliflower together on medium heat until they turn soft, stirring constantly to avoid charring.
* Turn off the heat, add the fried mixture from step 1 above to the vegetables, mix well and keep aside.
-> Prepare the shell:
* In a bowl, take the flour and add oil and salt. Knead thoroughly for 5-7 minutes.
* Now take 1/4 cup water at hand, and to the oil-kneaded flour add water by the teaspoon and continue kneading for 3-5 minutes more until the flour is moist, and comes together as a tight ball.
* Make equal sized balls from the kneaded dough, roll between your palms to get a circular shape, and cover with a moist cloth.
* Using a rolling pin on a smooth hard surface, flatten out the dough balls into oval shape.
* Bisect each oval shaped dough cake across the width to get two triangular pieces. * Take a single piece of the dough and fold it into a cone, cementing the folds together with a few drops of water each time you fold.
* Into the cone, stuff the filling to 3/4 volume. Seal the top of the cone by closing the top flap onto the body using some water as glue, using your fingers, "staple" the top flap tightly to the body.
* In a deep pan, heat the oil.Place the shingara cones into the oil, and fry on low heat 3-5 minutes until golden brown.Drain and serve hot with ketchup.