3 hours ago
The bulk cargo carrier Malmland was built in 1974 at the Fender-Weft shipyard in Lübeck, Northern Germany. The shipyard had been created in 1917 as a branch of the Brückenbau Flender AG, from Benrath, near Düsseldorf. In 1926, ti became a fully independent shipyard. The Flender-Werke (original name of the yard, used until 1973) produced a total of 42 submarines for the Navy of Nazi Germany between 1940 and 1944. After the war, the yard successfully produced merchant and passenger ships ships. In the 1950s, its company employed up to 4.000 workers. The yard suffered hard the shipping crisis during the 1970s and drastically reduced their team to 600 workers. Nevertheless, it kept building ships until 2002, when it had to declare bankruptcy.
The Malmland was originally built for the shipping company Brostörm Rederi from Göteborg. The roots of the Brostörm Group can be followed as far as 1865. Just like the shipyard in Lübeck, their business flourished in the years after World War II, when they owned up to a third of the whole Swedish merchant fleet. They also suffered from the crisis of the 1970s and saw their business reduced. The A. P. Møller-Mærsk Group Bought Broström in 2008.
The yard model of the Malmland is part of our exhibition on the history of modern maritime logistics on deck 6 of the museum. at Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg