18 hours ago
If there is one healthy thing you can do today to feel and look your best, you know the rest!
- Vitamin B9, or Folate, enhances energy as it metabolizes carbohydrates, fats and proteins. It aids in the production of new cells and red blood cells (contain hemoglobin which carries oxygen to our cells).
- We mostly associate Folate with healthy pregnancies as it helps create and replicate our DNA, RNA (genes that make you YOU) the nervous system, spinal development, the brain, and more!
- Vitamin B9 regulates the amino acid homocysteine- too much can cause heart attacks.
- I love B9 like all the B’s because it boosts the production of the “feel good” neurotransmitters like serotonin, which alleviates depression, anxiety and stress. - Folate also has been known to increase sociability, probably because when you feel good about you, you are more confident and likely to interact with others!
- Folic Acid is the synthetic form of Folate, and not everyone can break it down.
- B9 is water soluble which means you need to replenish it.
- Get it from your food: Spinach, dark leafy greens in general, asparagus, mustard greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets, legumes like black eyed peas, kidney beans and white beans, citrus fruits, avocado, salmon, wheat germ, beef liver, nutritional yeast and nuts and seeds.
- Keep it simple! Have a bulgur wheat cereal or avocado toast for breakfast, have a spinach- mustard green salad with beets and salmon for lunch, or make a chili with black eyed pea’s, kidney beans, white beans and top it with some guac!