2 minutes ago
Let’s talk granola for a second!
I feel like granola is one of those things that MOST people consider a ‘“healthy” item (myself included), or atleast a healthIER alternative BUT have you actually ever taken a second to look at the ingredients on the bags? I am not talking the calories, I don’t really care about those, I am talking the ACTUAL ingredients? Can you pronounce them? How many of them are just sugar with different names? ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Once I started learning more about clean eating, and the ingredients I was putting in my body, the harder it became for me to just “settle” on the choices in the store. Making your own granola at home is not only EASY, but it’s customizable for YOUR tastebuds, and, I think, LESS expensive than the store bought alternatives!
- Pick your base (some sort of rolled oats),
- Add in some of your favorite nuts and seeds (chopped almonds, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower kernels),
- Choose your fruit (unsweetened shredded coconut, unsweetened dried cranberries, freeze dried fruits)
- Add in some sort of binder (pure maple syrup, ghee, butter, honey)
- And season! (Pure vanilla, cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg, pumpkin spice)
- Then combine in a bowl, lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake at 300 degrees until dry and lightly toasted!
**My point isn’t to bash you for picking up a bag of granola, because I HAVE BEEN there, BUT I just wanted to give you a healthier alternative and encourage you to pay attention to your labels** #knowledgeispower
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ at Charlottesville, Virginia