8 days ago
RED BEAN & LENTIL CASSEROLE
Is there anything better this time of year than a homemade casserole, hot from the oven? The comforting aroma and the heart-warming enjoyment of that first, delicious bite stay with you for days to come.
This fibre-filled casserole is simple to make, contains many vital nutrients and delivers a wonderful flavour that only gets better when enjoyed the next day for lunch. It’s a fantastic way to learn how to make and enjoy sprouted lentils – which are highly nutritious. Enjoy!
What you need
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ cup dry sprouted lentils, such as Puy or green
2 ½ cups low-sodium, organic vegetable broth
1 large cooking apple such as Granny Smith or Macintosh, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil
¼ cup white wine
1 (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole pan with coconut oil.
2. Heat the coconut oil gently in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic, and cook for five minutes until the onions are translucent.
3. Add lentils and stir, then add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add the peppers, basil, apple, white-wine, shaved Parmesan cheese, and canned tomatoes and mix well.
5. Transfer the mixture to and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top. Cook in oven for 30 minutes.
6. Serve immediately, or freeze remaining portions in individual servings.
One serving equals 260 calories, 3g fat, 335mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate, 10g fibre, and 18g protein